This document informs Users about the technologies that help this Website to achieve the purposes described below. Such technologies allow the Owner to access and store information (for example by using a Cookie) or use resources (for example by running a script) on a User’s device as they interact with this Website.
For simplicity, all such technologies are defined as “Trackers” within this document – unless there is a reason to differentiate.
For example, while Cookies can be used on both web and mobile browsers, it would be inaccurate to talk about Cookies in the context of mobile apps as they are a browser-based Tracker. For this reason, within this document, the term Cookies is only used where it is specifically meant to indicate that particular type of Tracker.
Some of the purposes for which Trackers are used may also require the User’s consent. Whenever consent is given, it can be freely withdrawn at any time following the instructions provided in this document.
This Website uses Trackers managed directly by the Owner (so-called “first-party” Trackers) and Trackers that enable services provided by a third-party (so-called “third-party” Trackers). Unless otherwise specified within this document, third-party providers may access the Trackers managed by them.
The validity and expiration periods of Cookies and other similar Trackers may vary depending on the lifetime set by the Owner or the relevant provider. Some of them expire upon termination of the User’s browsing session.
In addition to what’s specified in the descriptions within each of the categories below, Users may find more precise and updated information regarding lifetime specification as well as any other relevant information – such as the presence of other Trackers – in the linked privacy policies of the respective third-party providers or by contacting the Owner.
What are cookies?
Cookies and other similar technologies like local shared objects, flash cookies and pixels are tools web servers use to store and recover information on their visitors, as well as making the website work correctly.
Types of cookies
Types of cookies classified by who manages them:
- Own cookies: sent to the user’s terminal from a device or domain managed by the owner of the website from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: sent to the user’s terminal from a device or domain not managed by the owner of the website from which the service requested by the user is provided, but from another organization that processes the data obtained using the cookies. Furthermore, cookies sent to the user’s terminal by a device or domain managed by the owner of the website are considered third-party cookies when the information they collect is processed by a third party.
Types of cookies classified by purpose:
- Technical cookies: allow the user to browse a website, platform or app and use the various options or services available there, including any the editor uses to allow for management and operations of the website and to enable its functions and services, like for example controlling visitor traffic and communication of data, logging in, accessing restricted sections, remembering items in an order, processing purchase of an order, handling payment, monitoring for fraud associated with service security, processing site or event registration requests, counting visits for billing licenses for software used to provide the service (website, platform or app), using security elements while browsing, storing contents to share video or audio, enabling dynamic contents (for example, animation while loading text or images) or sharing contents on social media.
This category also includes, given their technical nature, cookies that allow for the most effective management possible of advertising spaces that the editor has included as an integral element of the design or layout of the service offered users on a website, app or platform based on criteria like content posted, without collecting information from users for any other purposes, such as personalizing the advertising content or other contents.
- Preferences or personalization cookies: allow the website to remember information so the user can access a service with specific characteristics that can make their experience different from other users, for example language, number of search results shown, look or content of the service based on the type of browser used to access the service or the region where it is accessed from, etc.
- Analysis or measurement cookies: allow the controller to monitor and analyze the behavior of users of the websites they are associated with, including quantifying ad impacts. The information collected using this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the website, app or platform in order to improve it based on analysis of the data on how users use the service.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: allow advertising spaces on the website to be managed as effectively as possible. These cookies store information on user behavior, obtained through sustained observation of their browsing habits, which allows them to develop a specific profile used to show them advertising.
- Geolocation cookies: used to know where the user is located when they request a service. This cookie is anonymous and used, for example, to provide the right information based on the country the user is in.
Types of cookies classified by time they remain active:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user is on a website. They are normally used to store information that is only needed to provide the service requested by the user on one occasion (for example, a list of products acquired) and disappear when the session is over.
- Persistent cookies: store data on the terminal and can be accessed and processed by the owner of the cookie for a specific period of time, which can range from minutes to several years.
Cookies used on this site
1. Activities strictly necessary for the operation of this Website and delivery of the Service
This Website uses so-called “technical” Cookies and other similar Trackers to carry out activities that are strictly necessary for the operation or delivery of the Service.
2. Other activities involving the use of Trackers
This Website uses Trackers to measure traffic and analyze User behaviour with the goal of improving the Service.
- WordPress Stats (Automattic Inc.). Personal Data processed: Cookies and Usage Data.
- Google Analytics (Google Ireland Limited). Personal Data processed: Cookies and Usage Data.
Complementary Guarantees – Cookie Management
As a further complementary guarantee to the ones previously described, the registry of cookies could be subject to acceptance during the installation or update of the browser. Such acceptance can be revoked at any time via the content configuration and privacy options available.
Many browsers allow a private mode to be activated through which the cookies are always erased after the visit. Depending on each browser, this private mode can have different names. The following is a list of the most common browsers and the different names for “private mode”:
Internet Explorer 8 and superior and Microsoft Edge, InPrivate; Safari 2 and superior, Private Navigation/Browsing; Opera 10.5 and superior, Private Navigation/Browsing; Firefox 3.5 and superior, Private Navigation/Browsing; Google Chrome 10 and superior, Incognito
Important Note: Please read the Help section carefully of your browser in order to find out more about how to activate the “private mode”. Users can visit our webpage even though their browser is in “private mode”, however, the session might not be optimum and some functions may not work correctly.
Revoking consent to install cookies. How to delete them from your browser
Users can, for example, find information about how to manage Cookies in the most commonly used browsers at the following addresses:
Users may also manage certain categories of Trackers used on mobile apps by opting out through relevant device settings, such as the device advertising settings for mobile devices, or tracking settings in general (Users may open the device settings, view and look for the relevant setting).
Users may revoke their consent to the Cookies Policy at any time and delete the cookies stored on their device using the settings and preferences on their Internet browser, as noted above, in the settings panel.
Owner and Data Controller
CSIC Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas
José López Calvo
More information: http://digital.csic.es/dc/politicas/politicaDatos.jsp